Monday, September 8, 2008

The 33rd What?

A few weeks after handing in my master's thesis project I delivered my son EZ. Except for graduation, when I spoke to my fellow students, I haven't had much time to think about the work that I did on my final project. Over a year and a half has passed since then, and I find my mind drifting to regurgitate many of the themes I touched on in my thesis.
My thesis, 32 Flavors and Then Some: A Look at Case Studies of “Twenty-Something” Females in Today’s Society started off examining where various 20-something women from around the country saw themselves and ended up being a discussion surrounding feminism and its place for young women of this generation. I had just found out that I was pregnant when I began collecting data and interviewing subjects. I am sure that this colored my research in some manner and I even kept a journal where I could think even further outside the box and connect my research to my own personal life. When I reflect on the data that I gathered and what it all means, I'm still not sure, and that is where this blog comes into play. The title is a spin off on my thesis project title. (since 32flavors.blogspot.com was already taken!). My husband, MD, suggested the name as the "33rd Flavor" could be one of reflection and discussion on the previous 32 flavors...Then he likened it to the 19th hole and as soon as the golf analogies started I tuned out. But, I still like the name!
I'm hoping to revisit some of the theories I began working on in my thesis and flesh them out further, dissect them, and discuss them with all who are interested!

No comments: